Curator of SHEKOU DESIGN MUSEUM
Hong Kong Federation of Design Associations
To develop exciting, creative and engaging narratives and interventions in the different spaces of the Museum that fully reflect the innovative and pioneering nature of the institution, and to develop relevant public programs, firstly focusing on displays and activities coinciding with the opening of the Museum. To work closely with the Director of the Shekou Design Museum and the Head of the V&A Gallery at Shekou in ensuring that all the components of the Museum reflect strong and complementary curatorial approaches and fully meets international standards. To fully engage with the creative communities in Shenzhen and to develop a strong network nationally and internationally.
1. To lead in developing project space, innovation, exhibitions and temporary projects, including project planning, research, implementation, display, interpretation strategy and learning programs. Working closely with relevant colleagues across the Museum.
2. To engage creatively with the design community in China and to develop a strong network with designers, architects, creative communities and design manufacturers/developers in Shenzhen, and more widely in China and abroad.
3. Responsible for exhibition implementation, project management. To develop effective strategies on exhibition development and schedule management. To ensure the project is delivered in time and within the budget.
4. To supply content to the Communication and Marketing Senior Manager of the Shekou Design Museum for press and marketing activities, and to contribute to the development of a web and social media presence of the Shekou Design Museum and its displays/events in collaboration with relevant colleagues across the Museum.
5. To contribute to the development of a collection for the Shekou Design Museum, defining an acquisition strategy relevant to the Museum and in establishing guidelines for the documentation of a new collection, electronically and otherwise.
- A post-graduate degree in Art History, Design, Architecture, Urban Planning or other relevant discipline.
- Demonstrable knowledge of 20th and 21st century art and design and the latest directions within the field, both practical and theoretical. Strong interest in theoretical and innovative approaches in the field of Design, Architecture or Digital art.
- Evidence of having built a network of key contacts with curators, scholars, experts and practitioners in the field of 20th century and contemporary art and design.
- Proven curatorial skills and experience of having curated successful exhibitions and/or displays related to 20th century and contemporary art and design from concept development to final delivery.
- Demonstrable ability to identify different target audiences and their needs and willingness in engaging with them through new displays, web material, public activities, publications and lectures.
- Demonstrable ability to speak in public and to write for different audiences, including specialists and academics.
- Ability to lead and inspire a team.
- Proven ability of having effectively managed administrative and/or project budgets, and small teams.
- Evidence of ability to effectively work in a team and under pressure, to cope with multiple tasks and with tight deadlines and to deliver projects successfully.
- Proven evidence of practical and organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to systematically keep records and documentation.
- Demonstrable computer skills, and experience of working with social media and new digital media.
- Experience of working on international collaborative projects
- Fluency in spoken and written Mandarin Chinese and English. Excellent oral and written communications skills.
How to apply
First interview dates: 18-19 June 2015
Deadline: the call of applications is open until filled
Start date: as soon as possible
Application: the candidates are requested to send a CV, cover letter (in English and Chinese) and the names of two referees to Ms Yuan Man at firstname.lastname@example.org